Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Thankfulness: during the stomach flu?

 "This is the Day which the Lord has made;  we will rejoice and be glad in it."
Psalm 118:24

That is what kept going through my mind last night as I listened for signs of sick kids - laying on the couch in our homemade hospital ward in the dark with three of the five.   Sleep doesn't come very easy to me, when I am expecting to jump up at any moment to comfort, clean up after, and settle sick kids back to bed for a while....sometimes a very short while. 

I look around at our rearranged family room.  Water cups, tissues, bowls, cushions (turned into a bed) on the floor.  Books, toys, clothing to be picked up.  Across the room I see a stack of dishes - not enough time in the evening to clean up with a newly sick baby.  I am tired.


I lay there waiting to be needed. In the quiet Psalm 118:24 popped into my head.   This day, today, right now - is the day that the Lord has made.  I have to look beyond the emotions, tiredness, weakness of this moment and rejoice. Thankfulness came to me as I thought on how grateful I am to have children to clean up after.  Laundry (and  a lot of it) to wash.  A house to clean. A husband who loves us.  

I am thankful to have a Lord who sustains me minute by minute, day by day. 

When I am weak, He is strong.

2 comments:

Charissa said...

Trying to find the 'like' button. I understand all too well. On 2nd week here, getting better. Thanks for the reminder.

Jessica said...

I love your verse! What a great reminder to me as I continue to learn to "count it all joy"! May God bless you with a well house and quick naps for strength. Thanks for sharing the TRUTH!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...