Friday, January 28, 2011

Weekly Wrap Up: Discoveries

In the past few years there has been no rhyme or reason to my posting. Well, I'm going to try something new. I am going to try to join in on a "weekly wrap up" that is hosted by Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers every Friday. I said, "try". We'll see how it goes.

Here is my first:

Some big news that has happened over the past several weeks is that I am looking into other curriculum and teaching methods for next year. I would also like to incorporate them into our lessons for the remainder of this year. This is exciting news! This is my fourth year as a homeschooling mom - and I am starting to get this! And the best thing is that because of the changes I am going to make - I am going to enjoy this!

The Changes
For the past 3 years we have been using A Beka for the majority of our subjects. While I think it is a great curriculum - and works for a lot of people- it just isn't working for me. And let me just say that I don't want to seem like I'm coming down on it. It has great content and honestly, if a parent will follow through on the lessons and the kid(s) love workbooks, you will have some seriously smart kids! I just found the schedule and the pace hard for me and my kiddos. So, we are moving on!

This resolve led me to look into homeschooling methods and learning styles. Thanks to a great friend, who gently guided me through this process, I have made some very helpful discoveries:
1) I am an eclectic, classical chick, with a slight bent towards the Charlotte Mason approach.
2) My 1st grade son and 3rd grade daughter have different learning styles that actually work very well together and with my teaching style.

So now I look forward to reading all the books I have on these methods of school and removing the madness from our day!

My goal, now that I am feeling a little more confident in what I am doing, is to write more about our home school. So stay tuned! :)

This Week
Monday/Tuesday: school and regular house stuff.

Wednesday: I went grocery shopping (with all 5 kids). It takes me twice as long with all of them. One of the great things about having them there is that they can help me unload the cart! That is actually very helpful! My sweet friend Cami came over to visit! Mallie had piano lessons.

Thursday: getting ready for my Mom and Dad to come over (on Fri). Worked on cleaning my bedroom in preparation for a new mattress that was being delivered. Tackled Mount Meyer (aka: laundry)

Friday: Parents arrived. Mom helped me with laundry (thanks Mom!)! Mattress arrived. Took the dog to the vet...which I am officially wanting that as my job! This veterinarian office has coffee, tea, soda, and juice in their waiting room...and chocolate chip cookies! If I would have known that I would have arrived early!

6 comments:

Angie said...

It sounds like you had a great week!

Christian said...

Why did you go grocery shopping with all 5 kids? I'm supposed to be helping out with that!

BTW--what day next week do you want my kiddos?

Amy said...

Christian,
It was a spur of the moment grocery trip...:).

I can take your kiddos any day except Wednesday.

Heidi said...

Good luck with your new curriculum search! I know I am often morphing and changing to suit our needs. I love Susan Wise Bower's - The Well Trained Mind- A Guide to Classical Education at home. There are many practical tips and loads of resource suggestions. Stopping in from Weekly Wrap-Up.

Unknown said...

Welcome to Weekly Wrap-up! I LOVE searching for new curriculum!(Strange? LOL) This is my 7th year of homeschooling and I just made changes to our curriculum last week! Our favorites: Apologia Science, First Language Lessons, Daily Grams, Teaching Textbooks. Have fun looking!

Jessy
http://oursideofthemtn.blogspot.com

Shawon said...

We were a straight out-of-the-box homeschooling family too when we began six years ago. It's great to get to the point of figuring out what works best for your family, and each child as well. Hope that you find the right fit for you and each of your little ones.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...