Monday morning I noticed that our little goldfish, Fishy, was at the bottom of his fish bowl, tail curled up, and barely breathing. He was dying. Jonah and Mallory walked past at the exact moment I said, "oh no" as I anticipated the responses of the kids. They love that fish. I told them that Fishy looks sick and that he is going to die. Mallory was crying, Jonah was quiet. I tried to be compassionate but also not wanting to over react because, well, it is just a fish.
They are 13 cents at Walmart.
About 2-3 hours after discovering Fishy's sorry looking state, Mallory yells, "Fishy is swimming around, he's not going to die." She said, "I prayed that fishy wouldn't die." "God answered my prayer."
In case anyone is thinking that I was mistaken - I wasn't. I know what a dying fish looks like. That fish was about to kick the bucket, but was saved by the prayer of a 9 year old girl!
Silly isn't it? Not to God!
Amazing isn't it? That God cares about us that much? That he would answer the prayer about a fish. Many of us would flush the little bugger without another thought, but not God. Nope, he used this as an opportunity to show the kids the power of prayer and that nothing is too small, simple or silly to pray about. He cares about EVERYTHING.
This has brought great conversation between Mal and I. Does God love the fish? Sure He does -it's part of His creation. But, how much MORE does He love us -His people?
This isn't about the fish. It's about the faith of a child. I believe that this is one of the many instances in her life, that she will look back on and remember that God heard her.
Do you pray without ceasing?
Do you pray without doubt?
Do you pray?
Do you listen for the answer?
1 comment:
Wow, Amers, as silly as it may sound, that story about the fish got me a little teary-eyed. What a powerful lesson.
Post a Comment