And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength. You shall love your neighbor as yourself. There is no other commandment greater than these.
Mark 12:30-31
Wow, that is scary, but not that surprising! It is definitley something to think about when raising girls. I hope that as a mom I would be really concerned about fashioning my daughters character rather than her appearance-becaue eventually we all age-there's no stopping it:) What a great article! Thanks for sharing.
So, I am curious-how does this affect you since you have three daughters? How are you working on building their character?
How does it affect me?: I realize that my girls will copy what I do. So I make a point to never:
1) complain about my imperfections. * If I feel the need to loose a few pounds, if I feel flabby and out of shape, if I am having a day where I feel ugly, etc - I won't tell them. If I am on my treadmill, it is to be healthy. They don't need to know that my pants are getting tight. :)
2) I don't do a lot of primping. Period. But when I do put on make-up, etc. it's quick.
I beleive that they will value what we value. If we are so focused on their outward appearance: hair, makeup, clothing, etc. then that is what they will tend to value. I don't think it is wrong for a girl to want to fix her hair, wear makeup or want to look nice. BUT, it can become an idol if they are not steered in the right direction.
I really desire for them to value what God values: their hearts.
I wonder how this would effect our sons? If we were so focused on our own vanity, would this effect our sons?
2 comments:
Wow, that is scary, but not that surprising! It is definitley something to think about when raising girls. I hope that as a mom I would be really concerned about fashioning my daughters character rather than her appearance-becaue eventually we all age-there's no stopping it:)
What a great article! Thanks for sharing.
So, I am curious-how does this affect you since you have three daughters? How are you working on building their character?
How does it affect me?: I realize that my girls will copy what I do. So I make a point to never:
1) complain about my imperfections.
* If I feel the need to loose a few pounds, if I feel flabby and out of shape, if I am having a day where I feel ugly, etc - I won't tell them. If I am on my treadmill, it is to be healthy. They don't need to know that my pants are getting tight. :)
2) I don't do a lot of primping. Period. But when I do put on make-up, etc. it's quick.
I beleive that they will value what we value. If we are so focused on their outward appearance: hair, makeup, clothing, etc. then that is what they will tend to value. I don't think it is wrong for a girl to want to fix her hair, wear makeup or want to look nice. BUT, it can become an idol if they are not steered in the right direction.
I really desire for them to value what God values: their hearts.
I wonder how this would effect our sons? If we were so focused on our own vanity, would this effect our sons?
Post a Comment