Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Having a Garage Sale? Here are some helpful tips




I love having them and going to them. It runs in the family. It's in my blood. It is the thrill of the hunt, and the bargin that awaits!

Here are a few tips that I have picked up.

Having a Successful Sale:

* plan
Plan a day and time. The best days to have a g-sale are Friday and Saturday's, not Sunday's. My first thought is actually Saturday's, but I have never had one at my house on a Friday. When I go to them, there are way more on Saturday's...soooo, I may try having one on a Friday & Saturday this time. We'll see how it goes.

*be organized
I have found that you will sell more if you have some kind of order to your madness. Get tables. Paaleese...don't put the majority of your stuff on a blanket on the lawn....if you can help it.

If you have baby/kids clothes, separate them into sizes. I put mine in bins or on separate tables that are clearly marked by sizes. Adult clothes should have a place of their own. Sometimes I don't mind rummaging through piles of clothes, but most of the time I am looking for a specific size or I may have kids with me and simply don't have the time to rummage through piles.

*be friendly
Greet the customers with a warm "hello" or a "good morning".

*price your items right
Be realistic. People are looking for a deal. Your prices can make or break your sale. What are your goals for this sale? Are they to get rid of things or to become rich? What would you do with the things you don't sell? Donate them? Are you pricing them too high because you are being sentimental? They don't mean to others what they mean to you.

Expect people to barter with you...don't be offended. You can say no. If you are priced right, most people won't barter.

Want ideas on how to price specific items?

REMEMBER: Things are only worth what people are willing to pay.

*have a helper
a friend, spouse, etc--it could get crazy! You'll need the back up.
Better yet, have a g-sale with a friend! You can chit chat when it's slow!

*make a neat, legible sign
I wouldn't use this as an art project for your small children.
Write on your sign: Garage Sale --->, Yard Sale ----> in LARGE, legible writing!
Addresses and a description of what you are selling are not necessary. Just make sure you have arrows to direct people to your sale.

These are just a few things...off the top of my head.

Coming Up Next:
Going to Garage Sales: Garage Sale etiquette.

4 comments:

ness said...

Great tips Amy! I can't wait for G-sale season to start.

You always have such great garage sales with an excellent turnout. You really know your stuff! ;)

mom said...

This is so weird ...I'm thinking of having a yard sale and was feeling overwhelmed by the thought. You have given me some great tips. Do you think it goes better if you pre-price things. or bulk pricing...like "baby clothes" 50 cents ea. Or is it best to just have people ask the price. The only thing I remember that is important is to have change...rolls of nickles and dimes and a wad of ones. Thanks Amy...you are as always an inspiration.

Amy said...

Ahh, thanks! Bulk pricing is good. It's easy for you, the seller, to remember. I usually do it that way and then in another area I mark the baby clothes that are maybe worth a little more.

It is better to have your items priced. Don't make people guess. They may not ask, and may walk away from that sale.

I think it's okay to have a table for $1 items, a table for $2 items, etc. If you do it that way you could color code the items. Pink stickers for the $1 items, green for the $2, items, etc.

Let me know how it goes!

Sarah M. said...

Yay! Thank you friend! I am in need of these tips and tricks! I am such a novice at these things. When are you having your sale again?? I might need to join up with you. David's schedule just got changed and it looks bleak. :(

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...