Monday, September 15, 2008

Kick Starting Your Day

I was reading "Loving God with all Your Mind" by Elizabeth George and came across a sentence that really struck me. The sentence is: When you and I don't take time to be alone with God, you and I endanger our relationship with God, our health, and our service to others.

Previously, she was talking about how Jesus would get up while it was still dark, while everyone was still sleeping, to spend time with the Father--for solitude and prayer. (Mark 1:35) The day before he had put in a full days work: preaching, casting out demons, healing the sick. He worked even after the sun went down. But still, He knew the importance of solitude with the Father.

Do you ever feel hopeless? Do you ever feel that your to-do list is so long? Your energy level is running low, your patience level is depleting and there are just not enough hours in the day. Are the burdens of everyday life wearing you down? If so, you are not alone. Let me ask you: "Where does your strength come from"? Could you spend 10-30 minutes in the morning before everyone else got out of bed to gird yourself with prayer and God's word?

Since I have become a mother, I have clung to Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.

I am strengthened each morning as I spend time in the Word and especially as I talk to God in prayer. On the mornings that I don't, I can definitely notice a difference in myself - less patience, less energy and focus. So, let me encourage you to wake up (earlier), make a cup of coffee, tea, hot chocolate or what ever it is you like to drink, find a cozy place to sit (even if it is for 10 minutes) and spend some quiet time with the Lord.

Where to start?? Try starting in Proverbs. Read one Proverb a day and since there are 31...you will finish it in a month. Also a good place to start is the beginning - Genesis! You'll love it!

Let me know how it goes!

1 comment:

ness said...

ahhh....were you speaking directly to me???? :)

great advice! i also love the philipians verse. that's what got me through many late night nursing sessions and tired monrings. knowing that my strength came from God-cause I know that I didn't have any on my own!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...