I have a confession...I don't like to cook! There was a time when I considered cooking to be a creative activity and not just a necessity. But now, it takes way to long to peel an onion or a potato - or any prep work. When I finally get a good rhythm going I have to stop and clean up a spill, wipe a hiney, kiss a boo boo, stop an argument, etc. I do love to feed my family tasty and healthy food. Although, there is satisfaction in placing a home cooked meal before them, it has become a dreaded chore.
To help the cooking delima, my friend Tracy and I have started cooking together. We do as much prep work on our own as we can, and then on our cooking day we cook and assemble 30-40 meals. We have done: Lasagna (red sauce and white sauce), various meats in marinades (to grill or bake), chicken pot pie, burritos, enchilades, breakfast casseroles. Here is what I have discovered: I would really like some recipe ideas for dinners that don't require a lot of assembly. Does anyone have any one-dish dinner ideas?
8 comments:
I know we have a lot of the same recipes, so I will try to think of one that I don't think you have and let you know later. German burgers, calazones, and thai style pork stew are my faves though!
Ness
Ness- will you post those recipes?
I have a white bean and chicken chili that takes some time, but I double it and freeze it.
And there is always Betty Crocker's Tortilla Casserole (from BC cookbook).
Kj-
Here is the recipe for Thai Peanut Pork Stew
Stew:
2 pounds boned pork loin, cut into 4 pieces
2 cups julienne cut red bell peppers
2 T rice or white wine vinegar
1 t crushed pepper
2 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 can coconut milk
Angie adds red curry paste-it's good!
Remaining Ingredients:
6 c hot cooked brown rice (I use jasmine rice)
1/2 c chopped green onion
chopped peanuts
lime wedges
To prepare stew, trim fat from pork. Place pork and next 5 ingredients (pork thru garlic) into a slow cooker, cover with lid and cook on low setting for 8 hours.
Remove pork from slow cooker and coarsely chop. Add peanut butter, coconut milk and curry paste. Stir well, stir in pork.
Combine stew and rice in large bowl. Top each serving with peanuts and lime wedges (I like to add bean or mung sprouts)Enjoy!
Oops- I left an ingredient out! 1/4cup teriyaki sauce. Add in with the first 6 ingredients....along with the pork, peppers, vinegar etc..
Wow!
It is fun to read your sisters blogs and yours! I saw your family picture...very cute!
Have you ever tried Santa Fe Chicken?? It is really easy and tastes very good!
MIx 1 can of black beans and 1/2 container of salsa (your favorite)
in a crock pot , throw in 4 frozen chicken breats then pour reamining salsa over....cook for 3-4 hours on high. the last 1/2 hour add a block of cream cheese. when melted, shred chicken mixture up and serve over rice or in a tortilla...YummY!!!
Camster
Ooh, yum, Cami! I'll have to try that! Thanks!
mmmm that santa fe chicken sounds good and easy. I have made the thai pork stew with Jenessa and it is so good. Ryan thinks it is like going to a resturant :) I have to confess it will probably be fall before I make it again as the boys got the stomach flu the last time that we had it :)
I am making Santa Fe Chicken today and I can't wait to try it!
Post a Comment